Ruth Ann Minner is opening up her blog site to comments; however, to date the guest traffic on the site has been minimal. How can we influence Delaware constituents to frequent and contribute to the Governors blog?
The Office of the Governor should:
Sex up the blog!
- Make it multi-lingual
- Create a launch pad for Delaware news
- Improve use of pictures and photo
Make it Conversational
- Add comments feature.
- Add Most Commented / Most Popular sidebar.
- Add an “E-mail to a Friend” link.
- Create permalinks for articles that are alpha-based.
- Create a personal blogroll.
- Interact with users! Try a livechat. Report news here first! Take questions answer them on the blog.
- Institute guest blogging for cabinet secretaries
- Follow our recommended best practices.
- Create and promote a widget to get people to your blog.
- No changes are needed regarding software packaging.
- Include useful keywords
- Create XML sitemaps
- Submit the blog to directories
- Ping the blog!
Note: For the purposes of this timeline, we are assuming this is the governor’s blog, not just Governor Ruth Ann’s blog.
Preliminary Step: Form blog task force and become familiar with process and next steps (November, 2008)
First: Sex it up! (December, 2008)
Next Step: Make it Conversational (January 2008)
Research Assistant starts February 1, 2009.
Make it Conversation & Web Goodies (February 2009)
Research Assistant: $14,600/year
Opportunity cost of staff commitment
1. Research Assistantship – assuming $14,600 salary with 50% of time dedicated to blog and work with Communications and Constituent Relations Team, total direct cost is $7,300.
2. Deputy Communications Director – assuming $80,000 salary with 5% of time dedicated to blog and RA supervision, total cost is $4,000 of projects position was otherwise working on. This is an opportunity cost.
3. Constituent Relations Liaison – assuming $45,000 salary with 5% of time dedicated to blog and RA supervision, total cost is $2,250 of projects position was otherwise working on. This is an opportunity cost.
4. Information Technology Specialist – assuming $55,000 salary with 3% of time dedicated to blog over course of the year, including RA supervision, total cost is $1,650.
Total cost, both direct and indirect – $15,200.